Qwest GeoMax 2.125 Gbps Fibre Channel Circuits
Case Study – Off-site Disaster Recovery
- A Health Services organization providing patients with a wide range of integrated health care services, including medical diagnosis and treatment, health education, self-care products, services and more.
- This customer is one of the largest multispecialty clinics in the United States, providing care in 45 medical specialties and subspecialties.
- This organization also operates a 426-bed hospital facility recognized as a leader in cancer care, cardiovascular services, maternity care and neuro-rehabilitation medicine.
- Existing Qwest GeoMax service subscriber
- Highly survivable transport capacity capable of supporting an off site data center disaster recovery site.
- Off site data replication and storage
- Protocol preference – Fibre Channel
- Qwest GeoMax 2.125 Gbps Fibre Channel Circuits. Two circuits on diverse East and West paths
- Site selection – customer chose a customer owned geographically diverse location with an existing Qwest GeoMax node for their disaster recovery site
- Qwest GeoMax service is a high speed, high capacity, multi-protocol data- networking solution. The service combines dense wave division multiplexing (DWDM) technology with diverse interoffice fiber facilities
- Each customer location interface (wavelength) is completely isolated from the others and has its own dedicated bandwidth or wavelength. The DWDM equipment does not process the data, thus, different protocols and bit rates can be mixed within the same fiber, i.e., protocol and bit rate independent. Qwest GeoMax service offers various protection options, providing protection against both electronic and fiber failures.
- Customer interfaces: ETR, D-1 Video, ESCON channel, Fast Ethernet, FICON, Fibre Channel, FDDI, Gigabit Ethernet, ISC, SONET OC-3 OC-12 OC-48 (DS-3 DS-1 ports available through the SST tariff)
Results & Benefits
- Cost effective Fibre Channel solution leveraging the existing GeoMax infrastructure
- Monthly Recurring Charges $3,600 (two circuits @ $1,800 each)
- Non-Recurring Charges $2,000
- Fiber placement was not required. Minimal cost of entry
- Network design eliminated single points of failure
- Fully managed network solution