Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet (QMOE)
Case Study – New site - metro connectivity
(QMOE vs. DS-3 Private Line)
- As a world leader in fluid handling systems and components, this customer manufactures products that move, measure, control, dispense, and apply a wide range of fluids and viscous materials used in vehicle lubrication, commercial and industrial settings.
- Minneapolis Headquarters & Data Center
- Customer acquired a new facility in Anoka Minnesota.
- Customer originally requested DS-3 private line pricing between Minneapolis and Anoka facilities for data transport
- Fiber facilities needed to be placed as only copper facilities existed to the Anoka building
- 200Mbps Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet option (solution selected) was presented as an alternative to DS-3 private line
- Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet (MOE) - QC service combines the power of Ethernet and optical technologies across metropolitan area networks (MANs) to provide low cost, scalable and secure bandwidth. Qwest MOE - QC provides local area network (LAN)-to-LAN connectivity between two or more customer locations within a metro area. The Qwest MOE - QC solution is based on distributed Layer 2 switching and shared transport data bandwidth, and is suitable for data applications. MOE combines the power of Ethernet and optical technologies across metropolitan area networks (MANs) to provide low cost, scalable and secure bandwidth.
- Port Type: 10/100 Mbps - Bandwidth Profiles (Tiers) 5 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
- Port Type: 1000 Mbps - Bandwidth Profiles (Tiers) 5 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900 1000
Results & Benefits
- Monthly Recurring Charges:
- 200Mbps Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet $3,343.40
- DS-3 private line $3,706.00
- With QMOE ports at 200Mbps (DS-3 at 45Mbps) the Anoka and Minneapolis facilities function as if they are on the same LAN.
- The Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet solution is easily managed, as the customer sees the Anoka location as a VLAN.
- Allowed the customer to start backing up data at the Anoka site.
- The Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet solution will scale easily.