Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet (QMOE)
Case Study - Upgrade from Frame Relay and ATM to Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet (MOE)
- One of the largest orthopedic practices in the country, with more than 60 doctors using the latest medical knowledge and technology to provide the best care available. This practice combined 5 practices functioning as divisions.
- Doctors see patients at more than 18 clinics located throughout the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota and the surrounding metropolitan area) offering convenient orthopedic care close to home and work.
- Currently providing LEC DS-1 Frame Relay with full DS-1 ports at the clinics with inter-networked PVC’s to a 45Mb ATM port at the host site.
- PACS servers, applications and storage (X-Ray, MRI and CT Scan images) are provided via an ASP model.
- The customer is purchasing their own PACS server. The customer will support their own applications, storage, archival and retrieval of X-Ray, MRI and CT Scan images.
- Transport capacity capable of supporting PACS server applications, storage, archival and retrieval of X-Ray, MRI and CT Scan images
- 10 Mbps Ethernet connectivity (a 600% increase) from the clinics to the host site
- Qwest Metro Optical Ethernet (MOE) - QC service combines the power of Ethernet and optical technologies across metropolitan area networks (MANs) to provide low cost, scalable and secure bandwidth. Qwest MOE - QC provides local area network (LAN)-to-LAN connectivity between two or more customer locations within a metro area. The Qwest MOE - QC solution is based on distributed Layer 2 switching and shared transport data bandwidth, and is suitable for data applications.MOE combines the power of Ethernet and optical technologies across metropolitan area networks (MANs) to provide low cost, scalable and secure bandwidth.
- Port Type: 10/100 Mbps - Bandwidth Profiles (Tiers) 5 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
- Port Type: 1000 Mbps - Bandwidth Profiles (Tiers) 5 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900 1000
Results & Benefits
- Simplified Network Design
- A 600% connectivity increase resulting in increased performance of all applications
- Monthly Recurring Charge $8,396.52. An increase of 50% over the existing Frame Relay/ATM configuration ($5,567.20)
- PACS software SLA’s will be supported running on 10Mbps Ethernet circuits